An overview of the badge program
BDV data science badges principally serve to recognize the acquisition of data science skills. They are a tool which students of data science can use to demonstrate their skills. They also will serve to recognize a data scientist’s real professional experience. Furthermore, they also demonstrate that an educational program’s training meets the demands of industry.
Design of the types and requirements for the badges
Starting with the Edison Data Science Framework, developed as part of the EDISON project, members of the BDVe project and experts from the BDVA Skills Task Force have developed a proposal for both the types and requirements for the BDV badges. Included in this process were surveys of interested parties in both industry and academia. Currently, the proposal includes 5 different badges:
1. Data Science Analytics
2. Data Engineering
3. Data Science Management
4. Business Process Management
5. Data Science Research Methods
These badges will be offered at two levels:
– Academic: offered to students of Data Science programs
– Professional: offered to data scientists with real professional experience
The basic logistics of the program
1. An educational program applies to issue a BDV badge
2. That program then imparts training in data science to students and evaluates their acquisition of data science skills
3. Once a student demonstrates that they meet the requirements of a BDV badge, the program issues the student the badge.
4. Students can then display their badges online and in job applications.
How to participate?
The 1st Call for the academic level of the Data Science Analytics Badge is currently underway. Educational institutions which want to issue the Data Science Analytics Badge can apply now to participate in the call!