DATABIO FORESTRY VI
PILOT : WEB-MAPPING SERVICE FOR THE GOVERNMENT DECISION MAKING
DATA – DRIVEN BIOECONOMY
LOCATION CZECH REPUBLIC
COUNTRY CZECH REPUBLIC
CONTACT NAME PETR LUKEŠ
PILOT PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
In the recent years, there’s significant forest health decrease in Czech Republic. It is caused by various factors, both biotic and abiotic. These are independent on the forest owner and his management practices, resulting in loss of forest value compared to unaffected forests. The government compensates this loss to forest owner by the means of subsidies and tax reliefs. In order to correctly identify the affected forest owners and their eligibility for subsidies/tax relief, the Ministry of Agriculture of Czech Republic must precisely spatially locate the affected areas. For this purpose, the field surveys are used. These are however local, costly and subjective.
OBJETIVE OF THE PILOT
The main motivation for this pilot is:
- to develop a new methodology for forest health assessment based on Copernicus satellite data.
KPIS AND METRICS
The main KPIs of the pilot are:
- Systematic production of Sentinel-2 L3 product / spatio-temporal analysis using all available Sentinel-2 data to yield cloud-free data for user-defined dates.
- Production of thematic layers of forest health status, and its trajectories between 2015 and 2018. Thematic layers will be based on vegetation indices and forest quantitative products, which will be identified as sensitive to forest health.
- Validation and interpretation of forest health status and its trends based on extensive in-situ data collection and feedback from users.
- Publication of forest health maps on dedicated map server.
- Distribution to third parties via WMS/WFS service (e.g. Wuudis).