DATABIO FORESTRY I
PILOT : EASY DATA SHARING AND NETWORKING
DATA – DRIVEN BIOECONOMY
CONTACT NAME SEPPO HUURINAINEN
PILOT PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
All current real estate data is integrated from METSAK´s metsaan.fi eService to the Wuudis platform for DataBio pilots. Data is transferred via the Finnish forestry standard XML format. This initial forestry data is very crucial for the pilot because every update will affect the initial data directly. Modified and updated data should also go back to the authorities via integration interfaces. In this pilot, the Wuudis Service will work as a data sharing platform between authorities and end users providing mobility and data modification tools for the users.
We develop and use a work quality monitoring app (available for Microsoft, iOS and Android mobile platforms) in order to feed the forest inventory master data in real time operations into the METSAK´s databases, metsaan.fi and METSAK’s forest resource data. High quality updates are provided for strategic planning through the Wuudis platform and for paying subsidies for cleaning and treating young seedling and young forest stands in a controlled way by METSAK. The collecting methods are aimed to improve work quality and customer satisfaction, and increase competition between contractors resulting in decreasing care work costs paid by forest owners.
The goal is to develop and validate Wuudis’ collaboration features, quality monitoring and social forest platform features in selected pilot areas.
To summarize, the following improvements will be developed for the Wuudis Service:
- Development of data sharing features for more flexible data sharing
- Development of more flexible collaboration features
- Development of the Wuudis mobile app to enable work quality monitoring in a standardized way (sample plots “kemera”)
The work quality monitoring data consists of the following information: forest estate, geometry of compartments, type of the forest work, sample plot locations, measured data per sample plot, measurement averages per compartment, measurement date and user information. The quality control data will be added to the existing forest data standard during 2017.
- Development of a feature that allows the user to decide what data he/she wants to send back to the authority.
- Development of an interface to the authority system (for example metsaan.fi), which requires a strong user identification. Other requirements need to be defined during the pilot.
- Send quality data back to the authority system.
- Development of sharing features to the existent market places if needed.
- Specify all data sources and formats that are needed to accomplish all user requirements (maps, reports, tables, etc.).
- Execution of all integrations that are specified.
OBJETIVE OF THE PILOT
The main motivation for this pilot is:
- Develop a work quality monitoring app seamlessly interfacing with METSAK´s metsään.fi eService.
- Test the app in the field operations with associate partners and other stakeholders
KPIS AND METRICS
The main KPIs of the pilot are:
- %Increase in contract work productivity following the e-tools available/developed vs. what would be the time spent following standard contracting practices based on paper documents and paper maps
- Quantify %increase in productivity for example for young seedling stand cleaning (contractor and authority).
- %Decrease in operational costs for performing the same contracting activities (through accurate site information and better management of resources) following the e-tools available/developed vs. what would be the revenue (per hour) following standard practices based on data on paper form
- Quantify %Decrease in operational costs for example for young seedling stand cleaning (contractor and authority).
- %Increase customer satisfaction following the networking e-tools available/developed vs. what would be the satisfaction following standard communication practices based on contractor’s present practicalities (phone, SMS, work quality report if any)
- Quantify %increase in satisfaction for example for young seedling stand cleaning work quality reporting (contractor and forest owner).