BOOST 4.0 I
PILOT : ZERO DEFECTS, SUSTAINABLE PROCESSES AND PRODUCTS IN AUTOMOTIVE
CONTACT NAME MAX VON HOLWEDE
PILOT PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
The Volkswagen component tool shop in Brunswick, Germany is internal provider of tools for light metal casting, injection moulding and forming processes for many other factories, each with a large number of machines.
Volkswagen is focusing on the development of new approaches and systems infused by Industry 4.0 concepts that focus on gathering large amounts of industrial data, enabling Volkswagen to better monitor, understand, diagnose, predict and prescribe the optimal conditions for elements that are part of the manufacturing process to achieve optimal overall manufacturing effectiveness.
These objectives require an integrated approach for gathering data and for information modelling. Such an approach will derive new significant information and knowledge, as well as enable the transfer of the BOOST4.0 approach to other local and remote Volkswagen departments, with the 3rd tier level goal of transferring related knowledge downstream to Volkswagen external suppliers.
The organizational process to be used for enabling the knowledge generation that will facilitate the achievement of a zero-defect production, is based in the vision of developing a sequential and modular improvement approach, that allows for a secure, progressive, and evolutionary introduction of BOOST4.0 systems in heterogeneous Volkswagen manufacturing environments.
The BOOST4.0 approach shall be migratable to Volkswagen departments that are operating old industrial machinery and tools, with rather limited abilities for data provision, as well as to last generation industrial machines, new generation moulds and tools, that already natively provide rich data sets in real time.
OBJETIVE OF THE PILOT
The main objective of the Volkswagen pilot is to implement a set of interconnected processes to increase production efficiency, reduce costs and improve the quality of light metal casting parts. The strategic objectives are:
- Continuous Real-time tool condition monitoring: Automated experience and simulation-based approaches through the use of real-time sensor data and big data analysis methods that may be replicable in other similar production processes.
- Simulated tool-health prediction models: The light metal casting injection mould health state needs to be predicted for adjustment of process parameters, or alternatively for immediate tool maintenance.
- Integrated light metal casting mould design: Big data from mould utilization and wear, needs to be combined and analysed with production data (e.g. product geometry, mould temperatures, acoustic sensors, thermal and optical sensors and imaging) and mould sensor data, allowing for improved mould commissioning.
- Smart product data: Concepts for engineering modules that integrate and analyse “smart vehicle big data” to effectively constituting an improved feedback loop, improve automotive component quality, improve mould design processes and increase production cost-efficiency.
Focusing on those objectives, Volkswagen aims to create new assistance systems for their manufacturing processes that will achieve:
- Finer, lower granularity, and differentiated tracking of all its manufacturing processes
- A measurable sustainable increase of process and product knowledge and transparency
- Deeper understanding of multivariable process dependencies that can cause anomalies in the light metal casting processes.
Attaining these goals will help Volkswagen to effectively reduce the defective parts produced in the light metal casting process, hence reducing waste, and increasing measurable productivity.
Achieving these goals will help Volkswagen effectively to reduce the number of defective parts produced in light metal casting process, to reduce waste and to increase measurably the productivity.
BOOST4.0 will contribute towards these goals by introducing new data to enable new engineering processes and new data-based knowledge generation that is currently not yet available in Volkswagen´s current industrial state. BOOST4.0 will allow for mould design improvement and the reduction of waste, time and engineering efforts around the light metal casting process.
KPIS AND METRICS
|The highest values for a company like Volkswagen are their employees. The BOOST 4.0 outcomes shall mainly support the people involved in the Volkswagen light metal casting processes. Solutions elaborated within BOOST 4.0 shall increase the overall employee satisfactions and motivation as well as shall support them to increase the quality and efficiency in their daily work.
|Especially in the launch phase of a new light metal casting part, Volkswagen has some parts that do not hold the company product quality standards and have to be rejected. The BOOST 4.0 project shall support Volkswagen in avoidance of rejected parts in the light metal casting process.
|Product Part Quality KPIs
|In a light metal casting process, many quality KPIs are involved. BOOST 4.0 shall support Volkswagen in the improvement of such KPIs. Examples are e.g. related to the porosity, deformation, cracks or voids of and in produced parts.
|Process Quality KPIs
|The light metal casting process should run with a high OEE. BOOST 4.0 shall support the improvement of this OEE. Expected business indicators here are e.g.
* Improvement of cold run ratio
* Improvement of the solidification time ratio
* Improvement of the filling time ratio
|One important aspect for Volkswagen is also related to sustainability.
BOOST 4.0 shall support ecological and sustainable goals in Volkswagen through an improvement of sustainability KPIs:
* Longer mould durability through improved process execution
* Better predictions of the mould health status
* Reduction in mould wear based on data analytics feedback
|Virtual Engineering KPIs
|BOOST 4.0 shall support Volkswagen to support their virtual engineering abilities. Following initial expected KPIs have been elaborated:
* Reduction of the time needed to design a mould
* Enable digital access to data produced in the light metal casting process during the mould design process
* Amount of usable data for the mould design
* Feedback to design time
|Industrie 4.0 transformation KPIs
|Volkswagen strongly follows the progress made in the area of Industrie 4.0. BOOST 4.0 shall support Volkswagen in further expanding this progress. Therefore, potential business indicators are related to:
* Increasement of digitally available sensor data
* Integration of legacy systems in Industrie 4.0 enabled infrastructures
* Use of end-product/vehicle data for the whole light metal part life-cycle